Our mission is for our pupils to become literate, preparing them with the skills for the next stage of their education. The English teaching we provide allows all children to fulfil their potential while giving them the skills to understand and use language in all its aspects. We aim to engage all children in high quality learning experiences in order to foster passions for life long reading; while providing the confidence to communicate effectively in both speech and writing. We believe that literacy has the power to enrich lives, we will strive to ensure every child develops the confidence and competence to embrace literature in its many forms. Our curriculum allows us to develop English skills through focus texts. This gives pupils opportunities to confidently use taught skills, knowledge and appropriate resources to read, write and understand a range of texts.
Our aim is to provide high quality teaching and learning experiences for the children to develop a love of reading and writing as well as be confident in in their use of language both spoken and written.
Therefore, we will:
- Set high expectations so our children will achieve their full potential.
- Develop pupil’s abilities and enthusiasm with an integrated programme of speaking, listening, reading and writing based around the class focus text.
- Provide pupils with opportunities to consolidate, practise and develop new English skills across the curriculum.
- Encourage confidence and enjoyment in writing, reading, speaking and listening.
During their education at Offord Primary School, we aim for all our children to:
- Practise, consolidate and develop English skills across the curriculum.
- Have an interest in books and read for enjoyment whilst developing the skills to read a range of texts fluently and with good understanding.
- Read and write with confidence, fluency and understanding for a range of purposes and audiences.
- Use a range of strategies to self-assess, edit and refine their own writing.
- To ensure that all pupils appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage.
- Develop their powers of imagination, inventiveness and critical awareness.
- Have an interest in words and their meanings and develop growing vocabulary.
- Through the teaching of phonics and spelling develop an understanding of the spelling system.
- Understand how grammar and punctuation is used, building on skills throughout school and applying this knowledge when reading and writing.
- Develop a legible, fluent writing style.
Working together to achieve